News & Updates
August 27, 2015
Coralie Milne | VelvetTeacup
The VelvetTeacup’s range of wedding hair accessories is handmade in Queensland by Coralie Milne and includes stylish headpieces, flower crowns, headbands and an array of beautiful beaded and dried flower bridal combs.
Inspiration for many of the pieces comes from her lifelong love affair with flowers and nature and a “bower bird” like collection of vintage and antique textiles, embellishments and dainty handmade flowers.
Exclusive to VelvetTeacup are the beaded bridal combs which are all one of a kind. Each piece is handmade using silks, tulles, laces, sparkling rhinestones, beads and pearls. They have an eclectic look reminiscent of a bygone era.
By contrast the flower crowns are inspired by a wonderful and ever changing collection of millinery flowers and leaves, woodland berry pips and ribbons. The flower crowns are a personal favourite and Coralie has been making them for a very long time – since the days of her childhood in fact when she “cobbled” up daisy chain headbands for her dolls.
A visit to VelvetTeacup on Etsy will reveal a shop full of pretty hair pieces suitable for weddings, engagements, photo shoots or just a little something to wear with your jeans and tee shirt.
Coralie hopes you will love the range of flower hair accessories and be able to find something for yourself among the pretties.
*Editors note: We have been over to the VelvetTeacup on Etsy and you are in for a treat…! Coralie is so talented..!…. You will fall in love with her designs I’m quite sure, we did..! – Ed
August 27, 2015
Dana Hassall | Spinning Wheels
Spinning Wheels – The title track from Dana’s forthcoming album….!
She may be on the youthful side of the spectrum but Dana Hassall is far from new to the music scene.
**2015 Toyota Star Maker Top 3 Grand Finalist**
I spent some time with Dana and her parents on her mum & dads alpaca farm in the Eastern Downs country in Queensland, we headed out for some laughs amidst the country traffic, alpaca’s and horse’s to play a while.
So, I’ve also worked with Dana and yes it is a small world. We worked together at the beautiful Bed & Breakfast Vacy Hall for a term and as you know It’s hard work following your dreams.
Dana who has been performing since she was 8 years old has a nature that reflects the knowing of an old soul and the humility of a star that could make a difference to people’s lives. I’ve spoken with Dana on many occasion and wanted to tell her how she makes my heart sing to see her reaching for dreams.
So we think this girl is special not because she demands attention but because she really has something beautiful to say………Sometimes we think it would just be nice for people to arrive at their destination rather than having to wear the armour of having fought and won, and fought and fought on, to the place where people can see the freedom in your breath and your smile……….
So here’s to you Dana. All the way kiddo……… Touching lives and inspiring hearts…..
Some background on Dana..
Growing up on an alpaca farm in country Queensland gave Dana the perfect level of isolation to lock herself away and create. From the very early age of eight, she was already gracing audiences with her songs and, albeit shy, performances.
Her first songs certainly reflected life as she knew it back then, including compositions about horse riding, alpaca shearing and a heart-warming ditty about looking out for her younger sister. Suffice it to say she won’t be winning any ARIAs with those tunes, but they gave her the taste of storytelling and a thirst for more. p.s ….we didn’t write that part and we just love Dana Hassall and believe she has so much to give a younger generation and experience helps right.. – Ed
Fast forward fifteen years and Dana is still sharing stories with audiences. Although she’s not so shy on stage these days, she readily admits that she’s no extrovert either.
“I used to hide behind my mum’s legs every time someone started talking to me. I’m a little past that stage but I’ll still take singing over speaking any day. I secretly think that’s why I’m attracted to music – I can tell my story, but it’s pre-written so I don’t need to worry about saying something silly in the spur of the moment!”
“Spinning Wheels” | New single & title track
Dana is launching a new single and we are stoked…We know the feeling of soldiering on, and it’s real and we’re glad to be sharing Dana’s experiences with her …! – Ed
Dana’s passion for music is obvious in her single “Spinning Wheels”, the title track from her forthcoming debut album, due for release in January 2016.
“The single, “Spinning Wheels”, comes from that twenty-something feeling of wondering whether all your effort is going to amount to anything, but soldiering on when it feels like you’re getting nowhere. The rest of the tracks cover everything from talking to strangers, to figuring out where you belong and of course, the occasional love-gone-wrong story.
I think the new album has a bit of a theme of self-discovery that comes from growing up along with my songs. I’ve been songwriting since I was eight so I’m sure listening to those songs from start to finish would tell a pretty revealing story about my life!”
Spinning Wheels is Dana’s first full length record and sees her return to multiple Golden Guitar Award winner Matt Fell, who also produced her EP ‘See It Now’. Dana says she’s spent the years since the release of her EP writing and co-writing at every opportunity.
“When it came time to narrow down songs for the album we had a bit of a task, but I’m really happy with the songs we chose. I love a lot of different types of music and that definitely comes through in my songwriting, but somehow they all fit together into one album.”
Dana lists the sounds of Ryan Adams, Amos Lee, John Mayer, Shane Nicholson and Harry Hookey as just a few of her favourites in recent years.
Dana Hassall is a 2015 Toyota Star Maker Grand Finalist and a graduate of the CMAA Academy of Country Music 2012. With her rich, earthy vocals, powerful songwriting and fierce determination, she’s a force to be reckoned with. If Americana is your cup of tea, it’s safe to say you’ll be hearing about Dana Hassall in days to come.
Achievements – Dana Hassall
- 2015 Southern Stars Independent Country Music Awards Finalist in APRA/AMCOS Single of the Year and CRS Female Rising Star
- 2015 “Gotta Take a Minute” makes it to #30 on Country Tracks Top 40 and #16 on Kix Country Top 20
- 2015 ICMA Awards Most Popular New Talent Nomination (Announced 2016)
- 2015 Toyota Star Maker Grand Finalist (Top 3)
- 2015 TSA Awards Best Contemporary Song (27 Degrees – Megan Cooper/Dana Hassall)
- 2013 APRA Professional Development Award Finalist
- 2012 Channel C Blue Shoe Awards – Sapphire Shoe Award
- 2012 Channel C Blue Shoe Awards – Best Song Finalist
- 2012 The Song Comp Country/Australiana Song of the Year
- 2012 The Song Comp Blues/Roots/Indie Song of the Year
- 2012 The Song Comp Country/Australiana Second Place
- 2012 The Song Comp Folk/Singer-Songwriter Second Place
- 2012 The Song Comp Pop/Rock Section Fifth Place
- 2012 The Song Comp Spiritual Songs Finalist
- 2012 Best EP – National Canberra Country Music Award
- 2012 Catapult Song Contest Top 30
- 2012 Musicoz Awards Finalist
- 2012 CMAA Academy of Country Music “Spirit of the Country” Scholarship Recipient and SeniorAcademy Graduate
- 2012 “See It Now” makes it to #15 on the Kix Country Countdown
- 2011 International Songwriting Competition Semi-Finalist (“Long Way”)
- 2011 Mud Bulls & Music Country Talent Search Runner-Up
- 2011 Apra Professional Development Awards Finalist
- 2011 Queensland Music Awards Highly Commended
- (“Long Way” & “Two Steps”)
- 2009/2010 Vibetones Songwriting Competition State Finalist
- 2009 Amateur Section of TSA Awards Semi Finalist
- 2009 Miles Country Music Spectacular Overall Female
- 2009 Mud Bulls & Music Country Talent Search Runner-Up
- 2009 Australian Theme Section of AMCF National Songwriting Competition Third Place
- 2009 Qld Songwriting Champion
- 2008 TSA Awards Amateur Section Semi Finalist
- (“Good-bye” & “Waiting Out the Storm”)
- 2008 TSA Awards Junior Section Finalist
- (“Small Town”)
- 2008 Jazzer Smith Quest Runner-Up
- 2008 Cane Country CMF Overall Junior
- 2008 Pioneer Village CMF Overall Junior
- 2008 Voice of Urban Talent Quest Junior Runner-Up
- 2008 Qsong Courier Mail People’s Choice Awards Finalist
- 2008 Homestead Youth Talent Expo Overall Champion
- 2008 Redlands Modern Country Music Festival Overall Act
- 2008 Gympie Muster Maton Talent Search Grand Finalist
- 2008 Qld Junior Songwriting Champion
- 2008 ACMF Environmental Secondary School Songwriting Section Winner
- 2007/2008 Two time Graduate of the Camerata Country Music Youth School
- 2007 Qld Junior Songwriting Champion